On any weight loss journey, temptations will always arise. How we respond to these constant enticements can determine our weight loss success. Here are five tips to help you beat those temptations and stay on track:
- Be prepared – Preparation is key. If you know you have an event or occasion where temptation will be paramount, plan ahead – eat before, take a snack or if dining out check out the menu ahead of time and make a healthier choice. If you are prone to afternoon sugar cravings take a piece of fruit or a healthy snack with you so you don’t reach for that candy bar.
- Drink water – If you have a craving, instead of giving in as soon as it hits, take a step back and grab a glass of water. Sometimes the body confuses thirst with hunger.
- Go for a walk – Head out and go for a walk. Separating yourself from the temptation and getting active is a great way to forget and get a few extra steps in.
- Remember why you are doing it – The key to beat any temptation is learning to move through and to focus on the bigger picture – what are your goals and why are they important to you? Taking the time to remember why you started and what you want to achieve, helps put that 30 seconds of enjoyment into perspective.
- Be realistic – Temptations will happen and so will falling off track. It is ok to indulge sometimes just make sure it is in moderation.